Saturday, July 5, 2014

Style Arc Barb pants

Style Arc recently let everyone sign up and get a free pattern, the Barb pants, plus 2 other sizes near the one you choose to boot.  3 whole pant patterns!!  I chose my size and got the downloads right away, but my mail system crashed and I was very upset.  Not only were the Barb pants gone, but everything else!!!  My son was able to recover we think all the mail.  I had to use a few other emails I rarely use to try and get the Barb pants resent, as the original ones were corrupted.
 I went to the Style Arc website to see what kind of fabric they recommended and found something close to that.  This is a stretch woven with a 4% spandex amount.
 I had a bit of rear gaposis, so I pinned out the amount at the back seam.  I then halved that amount and split it into 2 for 2 darts about 4 inches in from the seam line.  This took care of the gapping.
I then pinched that amount out of the waist band.  I added in the optional elastic inside the waistband.  I like the pants overall, but Style Arc pants, or this style anyway seems to have a shorter rise than Kwik Sew or Jalie (although I haven't lined up patterns and compared).  I will have to wear these around and see how I feel about them. I think maybe a tiny wedge added in to raise up the center back over my bum, and some side seam narrowing would do the trick.   Overall they were very easy to download, put the pattern pieces together and sew up.  I'm so pleased about that.  I thank them very much.

**I do think a slight, very small wedge added in would be helpful.  I am a 5'5 pear, at my heaviest, 147, with all the weight in the lower half.  The back pulls down slightly, but not bad at all.  The Barb pant sits lower on the waist than I have been sewing in the past.  The elastic I added in was measured exactly to my lower waist measurement of 33.  I needed to go in an additional 1 to 1 and 1/2 in with the back dart from the outer side seam to get it centered more over my rear.    I may also contour the top of the waist piece in a bit more.

I did get a few compliments from the family, so not a bad fit.  No pulling, or tight smile lines.  I may pull out my stretch denim and make another pair.

I really thank Style Arc again.  Nicely drafted, quick to make up, and comfortable.

No comments: