Thursday, March 26, 2015

Joy of Cooking Pimiento Cheese

Combine in a medium bowl;
1 4 ounce jar chopped pimientos, drained (I cannot find these, so I use red bell pepper strips chopped)
1 cup mayonnaise (I sometimes use a little bit more.)
1 garlic clove (I have used granulated or powdered, google and found out how much equals a clove)
1 tbl lemon juice
1 tea dry mustard
1/2 tea Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tea ground red pepper (This burns my lip just a bit and I have used paprika)

Beat with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer at medium speed until blended.  Add 2 cups grated Colby, (8 ounces) and 2 cups grated Cheddar (8 ounces)

Beat until the consistency of cottage cheese.  Makes about 4 cups.  From the Joy of Cooking 75th anniversary edition.

I have been told this is awesome.  You might think it's awesome too.

I have not blogged about Whitney's rice bags (from Whitney Sews).  The pillows I made using filler from a duct tape dress form I found in the attic, pillow cases made from sheets I was given that were the wrong size.

I'm currently working on #404 First Choice Boxers from Timber Lane Press.  They use up to 5 different fabrics and have the saggy butt.  I'm adding up to 5 inches in length depending on the amount of fabric I have in my remnant box.  These will be sleep shorts and I want them to be scooty comfortable.  I haven't made these in a very long time, and I'm needing some extra help on the fly.  I may do a tutorial when I have these figured out.

We are not on a strict budget, but I've been watching some old The Lucy Shows, (the clothing is so tailored), and I think some of the shows are rubbing off on me.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Kwik Sew 3869

Summer blouses.  This is View A.  I used a lightweight linen from Hancocks.  I wasn't pleased with the quality.  This came from China.
The wrinkling you see over the bust dart is not enough spray starch, the blouse has been hanging in a closet for a few days, and it's too big for the dressform.  Just buttoning it on the dress form wrinkled it too.

 I love the princess seaming and it was so quick to put together.

 I'm going to have to add a clear snap on both of the blouses and equal distance above the top buttonholes, they gape open too much for me.  I've worn the pink one and had to wear a sweater buttoned up so you would not see my chest.

The flowered one is View B from the same pattern in a remnant from the last sale of our Hancocks.  The linen came last fall to winter 2014 I believe.  This was all they had and I loved the print.  It's quilting cotton I think.
 The back.
Having fun with my 960Q decorative stitches.

I love this pattern.  I used a 1 1/4.  It was fast and easy and great for layering under jackets.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Kwik Sew 3251 OOP

** I've been trying to find this pattern to link it, but it seems in the last 4 months or so, it has disappeared from online pattern sites.  So, I'm reclassifying it as an OOP pattern.  It went out the door this morning, but my husband was not in a mood for pictures.  He just wanted to make it to work in one piece in the rain.  I also plan to replace the buttons.  I should have made the buttonholes larger.  Various charts have 5/8's buttons anywhere from 15mm to 17 mm.  And I think I was having a reading glasses malfunction when I first read the pattern.  

The finished jacket.  I made this jacket using JoAnn's heavy denim.  I believe it was about 12 oz.  The pattern is really easy.  I chose to top stitch in navy blue, because I was worried about my top stitching skills.  The fit is generous.  My husband is a Large sometimes entering in the the extra Large region
 and this jacket would go over a shirt.  I'd like a bit of a closer fit over the wrists, but then if he were wearing a heavier shirt, the wrist would fit too tight.  The pattern called for 5/8's or 15 mm buttons, but my 15 mm setting seemed to short for the 5/8's size and I used some brown shirt buttons I had pulled off of some old chambray shirts of his.  Next time, I'm going to do more samples and use a larger buttonhole size.

 The cuff and side tab on the bottom band piece.    I'm planning on making this pattern again a may or may not use the side tab, so I like having the option.
 Inside the coat.  I wasn't sure how I would finish the top pocket, or the top of the inset pocket.  I used the seam finish idea on my Viking and it chose a 3 step zig zag.
I did flat felled where I could.  This pattern has 5/8's seam allowance, and I did a 4 thread serge on the side seams.  I wish now I had done a flat felled on the side seams.

Overall, I love the jacket and will make my husband more of  these as the years go by.  I have a few trendier ideas not that I am familiar with the pattern.  It could have been a quicker sew, but with the snow and ice we had over the last few weeks, I did loads of driving kids around, batches of oatmeal raisin cookies.