Thursday, April 23, 2015

Micro cloth bag

I'm supposed to be beginning a muslin on some men's shorts for my husband, so I can make them up in a heavier weight linen I got from Hancocks a year or so ago, but I just don't have the energy or get up and go right now.  I just feel down.

 Anyway, I've been reading a book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  I've been doing a milder version of this book through my house.  I've only had the book for several weeks and I didn't think I needed a clean out that badly, but I will say the book has me thinking differently.

Anyway, on to the bag.  I had done a purge of my younger boys closet and I had 2 garbage bags of clothing.  I didn't really want to add to our landfill or the very big pile at our local Good Will that I've seen in the past, but I have been wanting to have some extra fabric to play around with.  So, for the time being, I'm leaving the bags in our garage.

Now, on to the bag, I took a pair of jeans that had holes in the knees, and I cut above the hole and below the hole, then I cut off the hem.  I cut off the inner leg seam on both pair and I sewed both legs together and the bottom up.
 I measured 2 inches from each bottom corner and drew a line and sewed along that line, then cut off the excess.  I overcast the edge of the top, made some buttonholes, sewed a casing  and threaded some bias tape through the top.   Then I took some fabric squares I've been saving up for block quilting and self lined them and made them pockets on the front.   I took a robe tie and cut it in half and used it for the handles.  We had a warehouse sized package of microclothes and several packs given to us from those talks they give you in the warehouse store, and they were all stuffed in my hall closet.  I even have some in the laundry.  I'm going to fold them all up and put them in the bag and hang them on a nail in the garage.
The bottom.  Doesn't look too bad.  While I'm in this weird funk, I may just play around with the fabric in the bags.  

No comments: